BY: WRITTEN (A.M.G)
"The Saints of Truth Will Guide Us."
Jorah was founded by the Teryn family a little over three thousand years ago. Since its founding it has flourished in to a rich, diverse country inhabited by many races.
Current Rulers: Queen Ahra and King Xavier
- Children: Vorrell and Qasette Teryn
- Ahra Teryn married Xavier Delaney because he was serious arm candy and came with a massive dowry. Xavier, on the other hand, was, and still is, absolutely enamored with Ahra. The day Ahra asked him to marry her was one of the best three days of his life. The other two were when his daughters were born.
Current Seer: Edrenn Teryn
- Age: 272 years old
- Has been Jorah's Seer for 247 years--the longest a Seer has ever reigned or lived.
Current Oracle: Vorrell Teryn
- Age: 22 years old
- The first Oracle to not accept her birthright and lie.
Current Heir: Qasette Teryn
- Age: 19 years old
- Consented to an arranged marriage to Dain Raebourne of Athis to gain military power and protection.
Type of Government: Monarchy
- Jorah's monarchy, and society in general, is a Matriarchy--a society and government ruled by a woman or women.
Lifespan: The average lifespan is 90-100 years.
Currency: Gold coins called "Teryns" (after the royal family) and trade.
Skin: All natural skin colors
Eyes: Full color spectrum EXCEPT reds and purples
Hair: Full color spectrum
Hair Styles: Jorans, men and women, will spend hours creating elaborate hairstyles and decorating their hair with ribbons, bows, beads, flowers and pearls. Long hair is very popular right now due to the Teryn family. But shorter, more practical styles are worn too. Length of hair has nothing to do with rank within in the society. It is a personal preference.
Fashion: Regardless of station, clothing is normally elaborate and fancy. Jorans do not shy from colors and love sheer, highly decorated fabrics—beads, pearls, flowers and lots of shine and sparkle.
Jorah’s monarchy and society is a matriarchy. The majority of the power, property and wealth is controlled by women. Daughters are highly valued, heirs of their family estates and sons are expected to raise the family stature through advantageous marriages.
Jorans are not normally encouraged to marry for love. Arranged marriages are common to gain political stature, rank, wealth, and property.
Since Jorah is a matriarch society, the man marries in to his wife’s family and takes her last name. Because family estates are passed through women, a men’s family will set aside a dowry to hopefully entice a good match.
Seers and Oracles
**Important Note on Creating Joran OCs**
I am all for y’all creating Joran OCs and am pretty laxed if your characters stray from the story canon. However, no Joran OC can be directly related to the Teryn family. They can be related to the men that have married in to the Teryn family—sisters, brothers, nieces, nephews, cousins etc. But not actually related to the Teryn family by blood.
I really hate to stifle anyone’s creativity, but the reason for this is the Teryn bloodline produces the Seers and Oracles. Things could get rather confusing if random Seers or Oracles started popping up all over the place.
But I really do like the idea of OCs being related to the men that have married in to the Teryn family.